Friday, October 1, 2010

TWINdustry Guest Post: Jewelry

Each Friday, we highlight an entwined community member who works in the TWINdustry of the Week. This week's post is by Rebecca Novotny, twin mom and the entrepreneur behind Rebecca Novotny Designs.

If you would have told me five years ago, that this is where I would be today; I would never have believed you. Five years ago I was graduating college, searching for a teaching job, and planning to marry my best friend. I did marry my best friend, and I did land my first job teaching elementary school art…but three years ago we made a decision that changed our lives forever: my husband resigned from his teaching job to join the US Air Force, and I agreed to leave my job to travel with him.

We moved three thousand miles from home, and I started working for a local tutoring center. About a year later, my husband and I received huge, exciting news…we were pregnant! With TWINS! I stayed at work until August, moved across the country again, and then got put on ‘modified bed rest’. I have always been an active person, and bed rest was terrible for me, but important for my babies. My creativity started to run wild. Scrap booking, photography, and LOTS of jewelry! Due to tight finances, I started giving out handmade jewelry as gifts. I started receiving requests to make jewelry for bridal parties, family jewelry, and earrings to match dresses for special occasions. Everyone seemed to love it, and I loved making it!

My goal for Rebecca Novotny Designs on Etsy is to create enough income that I can continue to stay home with my boys. My priority first and foremost, is my family. My husband I both believe in the importance of spending time quality time with our children. It is extra important for one of us to always be here, when the other one is sometimes forced to spend a lot of time away. The great thing about having your own business is the flexibility of being able to work around the hectic schedule of a family with multiples. I create new jewelry and work on orders during nap times and after bedtime. When we get moved to new duty stations, my business can move with me. It allows me to spend every moment that I can with my babies, and still have something to do for myself. The additional income makes me feel like I am doing something proactive to help my family as well. Rebecca Novotny Designs is a proud entwined community member business and offers 10% off orders for entwined community members - be sure to find me on Facebook too!

Rebecca Novotny has identical twin boys and designs jewelry for Rebecca Novotny Designs. Contact her at rebeccanovotny@hotmail.com .

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome... kind of afraid to head over to the Etsy site.. I've been known to stay on Etsy for HOURS!!!! and I don;t want to neglect my gremlins.. bwahahahaha OH well, just a peak.. but if I'm not back in 30 minutes send help..

    ReplyDelete