Friday, August 27, 2010

TWINdustry Guest Post Friday: Real Estate

Each Friday, we highlight an entwined community member who works in the TWINdustry of the Week. This week's post is by Penny Pelletier, identical twin and real estate agent in Vestal, NY.

My twin Connie and I have been very close since birth. Twins run on both sides of our family - my father had twin uncles and my mother had two sets of twin brothers. Not only do I have a twin sister, but we have a brother and sister who are twins who are 4 years older than us. We are as close as two siblings could be. I can’t imagine what it would be like to not have a twin, as I always had my best friend with me.

Connie and I always seemed to work in the same field. After graduating from high school, I worked as a court clerk and trained my sister to take over after I left to get married. My marriage was our first separation and was quite traumatic for both of us! We both lost weight and our hair fell out - it was awful! We finally adjusted but we certainly had some very high phone bills.

After working in the mortgage and real estate industry, a few years ago I moved back home and convinced my sister to get her real estate license and come work with me. In addition to working great together, we are the only Twin Team in the area and we even have a program on the John Burns Real Estate Show called “Touring with the Twins”. It is such a privilege to work with my sister - it is rare to work with someone you can fully trust to do a good job and be supportive.

Here are a few tips if you are considering working with your twin. First, find something that you both enjoy and excel at. Do you have similar interests or hobbies? Think of how you can pool your strengths to work together as a team. Second, determine who will be responsible for what aspects of the business. If one of you is more outgoing, have that person focus on marketing and community relations. If one of you is more reserved, you may be more comfortable behind the scenes keeping the books straight and dealing with vendors. Finally, market yourself as a twin business! We all know what a unique gift it is to be a twin, reach out to connect with twins in your community who understand this special bond. Using a service like entwined community will help you connect with clients who are looking for business professionals who understand the special twin/multiples bond. We are proud entwined community members, and offer $250 off home inspections for the buyer or $250 credit off commission for sellers.

Penny Pelletier is a Realtor with Realty USA in Vestal, NY. Contact her at
PPelletier@RealtyUSA.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment